<$BlogRSDUrl$>

What a bad idea

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Let me clarify exactly what it is that I hate about blogs.

I have tried to read blogs not written by me or people I know, but the problem with %99.9 of them is that inevitably, they collapse into self-obsessed rambling rather than actual excercises in writing. Which is, I guess, fine for most people since most people don't want to be writers. I can't say the same thing about myself; it just seems wildly presumptuous to assume that my life is sustenance enough for a journal of thought, or rather, that it would sustain my interest.

But this morning, I got smacked in the face by Fuck It. The truth is, any artist who does things only for himself is finding a new and creative way to masturbate in public. Writing is a complicitous art; a book isn't a book until it's read (you'll note that nobody was walking around pimping Anne Frank or John Kennedy Toole in their lifetimes). And I...well, I think I want to write; god knows I enjoy it, and I seem to be good enough at it to make some people happy, so fuck it.

Therefore, in essence, I am warning you EXPLICITLY that this is about to turn into Every Blog Ever, because I am officially more interested in writing than I am in writing abou ____. I am equally likely to write about music as I am about movies, or politics, or books, or philosophy, or LA being a throbbing boil in need of a sudden violent lancing, or whatever. I am willing to write a blog on the terms of the blog. Just be warned.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?